Cone Beam Cat Scan
Since 2008, Ohio Sinus Institute was the first practice in Columbus to offer this safe, convenient and cost effective sinus imaging technology. We were also the first practice to have our scanner accredited by the IACTL
It has been reported that up to 3% of adult cancers may be the result of diagnostic x-rays earlier in life. Because many sinus sufferers require frequent cat scans to follow disease state, we implemented Cone Beam Cat Scanning as soon as the technology was available. This allows us to safely and appropriately order and review imaging with patients.
Cone Beam Cat scanning is based on dental panoramic x-ray machines. This technology allows us to view the inside of your sinus passageways.
The advantages include:
Significant reduction in radiation exposure; in some cases, 90% less radiation than traditional helical cat scans
- Significant cost reduction, up to 90% less than traditional cat scans
- Speed, most protocols can be completed in 20 seconds
- Variable Dosing, for children, the exposure time can be minimized to under 8 seconds with less xray dose
- Comfort, patients are in a seated position resting their chin on the device
- Convenience, images are reconstructed and viewed with the patient within 5 minutes of scanning (This saves a return office visit to review scans)
We also offer CBCT for dental evaluations and as a service for area physicians to obtain screening sinus cat scans. Most patients can be worked in the very same day and for those patients without insurance coverage or high deductibles, we can offer the lowest cost available in the city.
[caption id="attachment_105" align="alignnone" width="300"]
Plain x-rays are no longer utilized as the quality and sensitivity are poor for diagnosing chronic sinus conditions.[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_106" align="alignnone" width="300"]
This is a coronal CT scan demonstrating gray areas of nasal polyps in all of the sinuses.[/caption]